Frequently Asked Questions for Homeowners

Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do if I have a complaint about my mortgage servicer?

There are several organizations that can help you in processing a complaint about your mortgage servicer. The Office of Mortgage Settlement Oversight compiled lists of state organizations that can help you, depending on your situation. You can find your state-specific information here.

Regardless of which state you live in, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) may be able to assist you with your complaint.  You may seek such assistance by visiting or calling 855-411-2372. You can file a complaint by clicking

If I receive relief, do I give up the right to pursue legal action against my mortgage servicer?

No. The NMS and Chase RMBS Settlement with the U.S. Department of Justice do not provide criminal immunity to the settlement parties. Criminal prosecutions are an entirely separate matter from a civil legal matter. These are civil, not criminal, settlements, and they do not prevent individual, state or federal prosecutions. Nor does accepting relief require you to waive any individual civil claim you may have against your servicer.

Who do I contact about my payment from the National Mortgage Settlement?

You can contact the NMS Administrator at 1-866-430-8358.

For information regarding the NMS, visit

Can the Monitor help me get relief through my mortgage servicer?

Joseph Smith was appointed as the independent Monitor of the NMS and the Chase RMBS Settlement to ensure the servicers follow through with their obligations. Neither settlement gives the Monitor authority to intervene in individual cases. To find organizations that may be able to help you, visit

How do I know whether a settlement affects my situation?

For the National Mortgage Settlement, the mortgage servicers that are parties to the Settlement have already completed their consumer relief obligations and distributed direct payments to those who lost their homes to foreclosure between 2008 and 2011. Borrowers may contact their mortgage servicer for more information about specific loan modification programs available outside of the NMS.

For the Chase RMBS Settlement, Chase will be contacting certain borrowers about loan modifications and refinancing options for which it will seek credit under the Settlement. Borrowers can contact Chase at 877-835-3019 to inquire about these options and other options that may be available to them.

What is a mortgage servicer, and how do I know who services my loan?

A mortgage servicer administers mortgage loans, including collecting and recording payments from borrowers. A servicer also handles loan defaults and foreclosures and may offer loss mitigation programs to assist distressed borrowers.

The company that you make your monthly mortgage payment to is your mortgage servicer. Your mortgage servicer may or may not be a lending institution and may or may not own your loan. Many of the loans administered by servicers are owned by third-party investors.

For information regarding the National Mortgage Settlement (NMS), visit